The 40-Hour Basic Mediation Course is a 5-day (8:30am – 5:30pm) training offered to the general public several times each year. This course is designed to give individuals the skills and credentials they need to serve as a mediator in the State of Texas. The training focuses on the community-based mediation model. Individuals actively participate in practice mediation following each lecture session, and certificates are provided to participants upon completion of the course.
A Mail In Form is available for printing here.
If a course is out of seats, please Contact Us to be added to a waiting list!
** Laura Otey, M.Ed. LMFT, has provided training in mediation, negotiation, conflict resolution, and related areas since 1980. She has mediated a variety of disputes including employment, family/divorce, gangs, students, community, faith-based, multi-party, and business. Ms. Otey has taught at the University of Arkansas, Abilene Christian University, and St. Edward’s University in Austin, where she was a recipient of their Adjunct Professor of the Year Award. She is also a co-convener for the Texas Mediation Trainers Roundtable.
DRC accepts the following forms of payment – Checks ( Please fill out the mail in form and send with check), VISA and MASTERCARD. Choose your training date, then click on the “Add to Cart” link to the right that corresponds to the training program.
Cancellations will be accepted until two weeks prior to the starting date of each class. There will be a $50 administration charge deducted from each refund. No refunds are available after the cancellation date.
Who Should Take This Course?
- Individuals interested in learning the basic process and skills for becoming a professional mediator.
- Human resource professionals seeking more collaborative approaches to resolving internal organizational disputes.
- Attorneys looking to improve their collaborative negotiation skills for use in the practice of Collaborative Law and those wishing to become more effective advocates in the mediation process.
- Professionals and community leaders needing to enhance their “informal” mediation skills for resolving conflicts among individuals, groups, or organizations.
What Will Participants Learn?
- Key considerations in setting up a mediation.
- A seven-stage mediation process based on the theory of interest-based negotiation.
- Specific communication skills to assist the negotiation process.
- Management of face-to-face negotiations between the parties.
- Guidelines for working with attorneys in the mediation session.
- Use of individual sessions as a tool to facilitate problem solving.
- Ethical considerations for mediation practice.
Why Take This Particular Basic Mediation Training?
- Meets the standards described for court-referred mediations in the Texas Alternative Dispute Resolution Procedures Act.
- Exceeds the standards of the Texas Mediation Trainers Roundtable 40-Hour Training Standards as required by the Texas Mediator Credentialing Association.
- Exposes trainees to a broad range of disputes, such as family, commercial, personal injury, employment, and neighborhood mediations.
- Emphasizes practice; each trainee participates in mediation role plays and numerous skill – development exercises.
- Provides a comprehensive mediation manual written by the trainer and containing extensive information on mediation skills, techniques and resources.
- Uses trained coaches (who are also experienced mediators) to supervise role play groups.
- This trainer has trained more than 2,500 people in mediation, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Fulfills the training requirement for initial membership with the Association of Attorney – Mediators.
BENEFITS FOR ATTORNEYS
- MCLE Credit 40.00 Participant hours and 3.00 Ethics hours
- Improve collaborative negotiation skills
- Become a more effective advocate in mediation
- Develop specific communication skills for mediation
- Enhance the effectiveness of joint sessions
- Learn most commonly used codes of ethics
- Fulfills training requirement for Association of Attorney – Mediators memberships
BENEFITS FOR HR PROFESSIONALS
- Reduce costly grievances and litigation
- Improve employee retention rate
- Increase productivity in the workplace with a reduction in time spent managing conflicts
- Teach employees how to effectively prevent unnecessary conflicts
Continuing Education Credit (CEU’s)
- Social Workers
- Licensed Professional Counselors
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists
- HR Professionals
What people are saying:
“I went to the 40 hour mediation rather “sure of myself” thinking that since I was a seasoned HR professional with a Masters in Communication, I was in for a 40 hour review… I was so wrong! There was so much I had to “unlearn” in order to learn the skills of a mediator. This is not only the best mediation training but the best training for overall communication skills. Take this training – you will use the skills everyday personally and professionally!” Alice Dendinger, SPHRPrice: $950.00